To enable Worldwatch to play a major role in research, analysis and production of the IPCC Special Report on Renewable Energy and Climate Change Mitigation through 2010 and to make policy recommendations based on it, and To produce an early report for release at Copenhagen to educate policy makers about the immediate and longer-term potential for renewable energy in concert with EE to mitigate climate change, and providing success stories including REEEP projects.
- Play a major role in producing the IPCC Special Report on Renewable Energy and Climate Change Mitigation.
- Janet Sawin, Worldwatch senior researcher, will be a lead author on the Policy, Financing and Implementation chapter.
- Produce a brief, accessible advance report in late 2009 targeting policy makers to highlight the potential of renewable energy to mitigate climate change, its synergies with energy efficiency and most effective policies.
- Disseminate this report and its findings through the media, the Worldwatch website, via networking and collaborat-ing with other IPCC authors, and with a side event at COP-15 in Copenhagen
- Work with policy makers directly to design and enact strong renewable energy policies
- Education of policy makers about the potential of renewable energy to mitigate climate change, about the synergies between renewables and energy efficiency, and the policies needed to accelerate their deployment.
- To influence decisions taken before and at COP 15 in Copenhagen, helping to ensure a strong global agreement
- Strengthening of policies to promote renewable energy in key countries
- Bringing about of strong renewable energy commitments at COP-15 in Copenhagen and beyond