To develop a financing instrument to improve financing possibilities for RE and EE projects in the southern Mediterranean region.
- Analyse the RE and EE market structure and opportunities and evaluate the financing needs in each country of the target area
- Identify the optimal legal and economic framework for financing RE and EE projects in each country
- Devise a structure for Public-Private Partnership between governmental agencies and private investors to:
o improve risk allocation to better suit the objectives of the project partners o propose an efficient use of public funds to leverage private investor financing
- Closing the gap between developer equity and available debt for RE and EE projects
- Provision of additional financing to projects on better financial terms, thanks to more efficient and differentiated risk allocation
- Opportunity for local developers to implement a larger number of projects while still maintaining ownership.
- Use of public funds to attract private investors will leverage public funding and multiply its effect in terms of the number of projects supported
- Involvement of local players will allow the financing of medium and small scale projects, usually not considered by large investors.