To showcase and expand business opportunities in the off-grid lighting market, targeting low income populations in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Support non-fossil fuel based lighting businesses with market intelligence, business planning and support, financing facilitation, and product quality assurance
- Provide a forum for renewable lighting companies to showcase their latest lighting products and services and to conduct networking
- Identify opportunities in the off-grid lighting market for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Establish business linkages and partnerships identifying new and innovative products, services, and business models
- Report on the progress of 16 Development Marketplace winners from 11 sub-Saharan African countries that were awarded in late 2008. (REEEP was a funder of these Development Marketplace winners.)
- Identification of at least 30 business opportunities in off grid lighting, with over $5 million in prospective investments
- Substitution of fossil-fuel based lighting sources with better quality lighting at lower costs.
- Easy access to improved, modern lighting products and services for poor consumers.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions from displaced fossil fuels.
- Programs in at least 10 World Bank and donor countries successfully executed.
- Uptake of the Light-Up Africa business model by other countries, regional programmes, and the private sector.