To consider and make recommendations on the institutional framework, policies and regulations to promote biomass co-firing in China and to guarantee a sustainable biomass supply.
- Define the potential for biomass co-firing in China and analyse the international scenario in the sector;
- Identify the critical factors for the successful development of a market for biomass co-firing in China;
- Define barriers and risks associated with biomass co-firing and commercial biomass supply;
- Identify innovative mechanisms and financial instruments to mitigate commercial risks associated with biomass supply;
- Develop several case studies and recommendations, and disseminate.
- Provision of a profile of the biomass energy sector in China;
- Provision of recommendations for the policy framework and financial mechanisms for the successful promotion and uptake of biomass co-firing in China (a key part of China's Renewable Energy Law which states that 10% of China's energy needs should be met by renewables by 2020);
- Strengthening of the network of national and regional policy makers in the field of biomass energy and in particular those interested in co-firing;
- Provision of the selected case study for co-firing as an exemplar in the field of biomass co-firing in China and for use as a replicable model;
- Reduction in dependency on imported fuels and provision employment and economic benefits to rural areas.