To work with 3-5 Brazilian city governments to focus on methane recovery as a RE source, developing tools for other cities to use and policies to regulate solid waste disposal, landfills, and waste water treatment plants.
- Select 3-5 Brazilian cities from amongst the current ICLEI CCP network, to ensure senior level commitment and significant local resources.
- Conduct baseline scenario research
- Create a guide on methane recovery from landfill and wastewater to generate energy, and distribute it to more than 100 local governments
- Train at least 60 individuals on using the guide and tool kit in a workshop
- Providing continuous follow-up and technical assistance to the cities
- Disseminate the project activities and results via the global ICLEI network.
- Improved urban sanitation and increased clean energy generation through methane recovery technology
- Increased access to low-cost energy for the urban poor
- Increased opportunities for cities to benefit from CDM revenue
- Benchmarks established for other municipalities in energy policies
- Integration of RE into municipal long-term planning processes
- Enrich ICLEI’s database of case studies
- Finance institutions and cities see sanitation expenditure as an investment rather than a cost.