To help the Jiangsu Economic and Trade Commission (ETC) and its Demand-Side Management (DSM) Center to strengthen implementation of its DSM/EPP programme.
- Prepare DSM Implementation Manual.
- Co-ordinate DSM Monitoring and Verification Protocol.
- Develop case studies on EPP design and implementation for two large-size, energy-intensive factories, with recommendations for integrating the ESCO industry.
- Conduct research on appropriate DSM fund management mechanisms for China.
- Organise China's First International DSM Forum.
- Organise four training sessions for Chinese experts and utility officials on DSM incentive mechanisms, programme planning & design, project screening and selection, implementation, monitoring and verification, and ESCO integration.
- Publish technical and scholarly articles in English and Chinese on DSM/EPP implementation in Jiangsu and China.
Initial studies indicate that DSM energy efficiency financial incentives could both save enough energy to meet eight percent of Jiangsu's projected electricity growth, and reduce China's total coal consumption by 167 million metric tons by 2015, eliminating 613 million metric tons of carbon emissions, all at a net cost reductio
- Help Jiangsu achieve greater electricity and carbon savings, and pave the way for scale-up to full EPP implementation, by developing appropriate management and oversight procedures and capacities for ensuring that DSM funds are used in the most cost-effective manner and that the savings can be fully monitored and verified.
- Help Jiangsu to become the "California of China" - a national model for successful EPP programme planning, implementation, oversight and funding.
- Increase capacity to build EPPs in other parts of China through training, pilot projects and development of technical implementation materials.