To design and implement financial risk management instruments that support financing of small scale projects, especially small scale energy equipment and service delivery.
- Promote greater uptake of renewable energy and more efficient use of energy to help address climate change, security of supply considerations, as well as improved access to clean energy;
- Support the development and use of renewable energy, including biomass, wind and solar energy;
- Support the development of small power plants in conjunction with solutions that address water supplies, flood reflief and irrigation;
- Support measures designed to improve energy efficiency;
- Promote multilateral initiatives in the field of renewable energy.
- Implement plans for small scale energy enterprise and equipment finance to achieve Energy Access, This work will build on the UNEP's existing AREED network and experience as well as relationships with national government agencies in the target countries;
- Gain maximum leverage of donor funds;
- Increased capacity for African SMEs to develop and implement energy services delivering projects in peri-urban and rural communities;
- Development and use of renewable energy and energy efficiency, to increase energy access for the poor to meet the millennium development goals;