Financing Energy Upgrade in South African Low Income Homes
To develop a financial model appropriate to the South African context that will enable the national replication of the ‘low income urban housing energy upgrade project' currently being piloted in Kuyasa, Cape Town. This development process will consider both CDM and TREC financing mechanisms for which the energy upgrade project is eligible.
- Identify the need for financial model to be drawn up based on Kuyasa project for nationwide replication;
- Assess the Kuyasa energy upgrade;
- Identify potential investors;
- Explore and develop replication options;
- Document lessons learned;
- Draft a financial model including innovative financing mechanisms such as CDM which can be rolled our nationally or regionally.
- Increased energy savings;
- Reduced emissions;
- Increased renewable energy generation;
- Improved quality of life;
- Provision of learnings in the use of CDM and TRECs in project financing of this nature internationally.