Amazonia Energy Initiative (Energia da Amazonia)
To design and start the Amazonia Energy Initiative (AEI) aimed at increasing energy access for isolated communities in the Amazon region while promoting productive and efficient energy use.
Brazil15° 46' 46.92" S, 47° 55' 46.92" W
Main activity and output:
- Convene/participate in stakeholder meetings to discuss improved and innovative financing and technical assistance schemes;
- Institutionalise selected ongoing projects and establish as independent micro-power producers, managed locally and stimulating income generating energy use;
- Gather lessons learned/field information from the institutionalisation process;
- Provide inputs to the ongoing discussions headed by MME aligned with the GVEP action plan and priorities. REEEP has signed an MoU with GVEP to collaborate.
- Two projects institutionalised (50kW each);
- Ninety families receiving energy service;
- Development of Business Plan/Bylaws for Amazon Energy Market Agent;
- Innovative financing mechanism for micro independent power producer designed;
- For the two remote Amazonian communities where pilot interventions will be made, the AEI will contribute to a sustainable energy service provision and development of productive activities, ultimately contributing to their socio-economic development;
- For the Brazilian energy sector, the AEI will deliver a mechanism that will help to mitigate the risk for investors interested in exploring the business of electrifying remote communities, therefore contributing to a faster achievement of the targets of the Luz para Todos Programme.